Since its establishment in 2000, the AREMA Educational Foundation has promoted educational activities related to railway engineering through several programs.
- The Foundation administers the Railway Engineering Education Symposium (REES) which helps to foster interest in adding railway engineering courses among university faculty.
- The Watford Fellowship provides an opportunity for new railway employees to gain an international perspective on railroad design and engineering.
- In the last couple of years, the Foundation has awarded multiple scholarships and has provided educational opportunities to students.
All of these programs support those who represent the future of AREMA and the railway industry. It is vital that we encourage and engage them as they are the industry leaders of tomorrow.
The Foundation’s Board approved a plan several years ago to strategically grow the Foundation. Not only is the Foundation able to offer expanded scholarship opportunities, but the Foundation is in an extraordinary position to be more proactive in honoring donor support for the Foundation and meet the growing needs of its constituents. Key elements of future scholarship cycles are:
- Endowments are accepted at a minimum of $50,000. General scholarship criteria applies to future endowments.
- All contributions are made to the Foundation’s General Fund. Donors have the option to be recognized as providing funding in honor/memory of a designated person on the Foundation’s donor page.
- Procedures are in place to ensure that those remembered by donated funds are noted at the Annual Conference and that donors are acknowledged, if they desire to be named.
- The Foundation awards general scholarships and the amount offered depends on funding received.
- Funds to specific programs are restricted funds, as those funds will be for a specific purpose [Example - Railway Engineering Education Symposium (REES)].
- A GPA of 2.5 for the general scholarship criteria is required.
AREMA and the AREMA Educational Foundation Board continue to be very appreciative and thankful for the donations and support received through the years. The Foundation has been very successful and has assisted many students with scholarships that have helped them reach their education goals. The Foundation continues to be in a great position to help engineering students who specialize in the railway industry to meet their professional goals and to offer other opportunities to the railway industry. Let’s work together to ensure the success of the Programs offered and delivered by the Foundation.
Thank you for your contributions to the Foundation and your continued support.