To apply for this scholarship the materials listed below must be sent to: AREMA Educational Foundation Scholarship Committee, American Railway Engineering and Maintenance of Way Association, 4501 Forbes Blvd., Suite 130, Lanham, MD 20706 USA.
- A cover letter, not exceeding 350 words, in business format, giving reasons why the applicant believes he/she is deserving of an AREMA Educational Foundation Scholarship. The applicant should indicate areas of railroading which might be of particular interest (freight, signals and communication, computers, passenger and transit, bridges and structures, geotechnical, environmental, rail construction, or other) and describe how his/her attributes relate to these areas.
- A resume which is comparable to that which would be prepared by a graduating senior who is seeking professional employment. The resume should contain personal data, work experience, education information and any other information the applicant feels is appropriate.
- Two letters of recommendation. One must be from a faculty member, and the other may be from another faculty member, present or former employer, AREMA member, or other responsible person. Letters of recommendation will be confirmed prior to award of scholarship. For confirmation purposes, a phone number and e-mail address of signer must be included with each letter of recommendation.
- Transcript(s) from the school(s) attended, which includes college level work completed at least through Spring or Summer Term 2013, plus courses currently enrolled in for Fall Term 2013. Printed computer or Internet copies of transcript(s) will be accepted. Transcripts will be confirmed with school(s) prior to award of scholarship.
- Application packets are to be stapled once in the upper left hand corner.
- No photos are allowed.
- Submission of extra materials beyond what is requested may be cause for disqualification of applicant.
Deadline For Applying
An original of the above materials must be submitted in one envelope and postmarked to AREMA no later than Saturday, December 14, 2013.
Evaluation and Notification
A scholarship committee appointed by AREMA Committee 24- Education & Training, will base its
evaluation for awards on material submitted. Successful applicants will be informed of awards on or before January 30, 2014.
Your Contribution makes a difference!
For more information
contact Stacy Spaulding
+1 301.459.3200, ext. 706
send an email message.